10 January 2010

Tomato Soup, Running a Race, and some thoughts for 2010


Yesterday I opened a can of tomato soup for lunch, mixed in a little milk and added some cheese on top.  It was a nice meal for a cold day, but it was especially nice because it was the last bit of a "care package" my grandma sent home with me the last time we were together.  The package had jelly, peanut butter, some bread, a few other sundry items, and this soup.  For some reason, I was saving the soup - it reminded me of how of how thoughtful and intentional she was about taking care of me, even as an adult.  What a wonderful thing it is to have someone remember you and take care of some of your needs.  This little can of soup reminded me of all of this and reminded me of what I get to do for other people - give them love and cans of soup, or maybe not soup, but whatever I can give and whatever the need.  Great to share one last meal with my grandma.  


I have said for some years now that I want to run a race.  Probably not a marathon, but how about starting with a 10K?  I've always been afraid to sign up for one because I was fairly certain I would not run enough to be ready when the race came!   I'm not a runner by any means - my knees hurt, I'm slow, and I'm out of shape...but i'm hoping to change that as soon as the weather warms up a few degrees.  So this is just another small way that I can do something I have some fear about doing, and I'll probably get a t-shirt, so that's a plus.  The 10K is in April here in Oxford. 


I'm am indeed thankful for the start of a new year.  Not that time is really divided into neat little numbered boxes we call years - but, we humans of course need a way to mark time and to help us remember our lives!  So, I am thankful for a fresh start this year, and  I feel encouraged and hopeful.  Not much will be changing right now in the way of work and routine, but I'm really asking God to help me move forward and trust him to take some steps of faith very soon - probably this summer - which I'm hoping will include a job and moving away from Oxford.

Another goal for this year is to read through the Bible in a year, which i've never done.   I'm going to be using this website to help me.  www.youversion.com 

By the way - the snow is still here.  10 degrees here this morning.  crazy!

2 comments: