24 January 2010

blog templates and creativity

I'm having fun changing the template and design for this blog.  It's like getting to design and decorate space in a new apartment, except with much more freedom to mess up and re-do...with just the click of a button.  I just realized that tumblr has some neat blog designs, but i'm already faithful to blogger, so i won't switch over right now.

Anyway - this is fun and it's also a way for me to be a little creative.

Creativity is something I haven't thought a lot about in the last year or so.  Living the everyday in survival mode doesn't really open up much room to be creative, but in the last few weeks I've been thinking more about it and feeling inspired.


I started knitting again (!),  and I got a new camera.
So I can start taking pictures again, which I LOVE to do.

I am discovering more and more that I need a creative outlet in my life to feel balanced and that God in fact created us that way.   

The sermon at The Orchard today is what helped me put all these thoughts together.  It was about redemption, creativity, and beauty - much more than just what I've mentioned in my ramblings. You can listen here.
Isaiah 61:1,3
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me...
(v3)to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion -
to bestow on them
a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness

instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
What I took home from this is a huge reminder that God is about making things whole and beautiful...and taking things like despair, mourning and ashes and giving them new life and meaning.   

Redemption. Continual redemption - not just one time or one chance for redemption, but ongoing.  There is hope for the mourners and the brokenhearted.  There is hope for God to make something beautiful out of our ashes and there is hope for you and for me to add to the beautiful work that He is doing with our lives.  This is good news for me. such good news.

2 comments: