18 February 2010

thinking about Lent

This cold I have only allowed me to sleep until 4:30 a.m. So I'm awake, and I'm thinking about Lent on this very early morning.  I remember this season in past years as being a time of simplifying and turning away from things that distract me from God.  I remember trying to give things up and then giving in at some point in the fast.  One year I tried to fast from the snooze button so I could get up and do something more important than sleeping.  I probably fasted from my fast about half the time.

I didn't get it.  I got too focused on making rules for myself and then I didn't want to follow the rules.  So, I missed the point entirely.  I read earlier that Lent is a journey back to God, an opportunity to make some space in our lives to focus on God. 

This year I hardly realized the season was approaching before it started just yesterday on Ash Wednesday.  I had to remind myself of the history and purpose of the Lenten season.  I found some helpful info here.   In reading about Lent, I realized my need for a time to focus on repentance. 

Analyzing something is normal for me, but I think thoughtful self-examination with the goal of repentance is entirely different.  It involves calling into question the little habits I have that make me comfortable, the ways I isolate and protect myself so I don't have to deal with hard things, and the ways I turn from God in all of this: Sin. 

It seems so trite to give up coffee or alcohol or sweets or facebook for something that changed the course of history and of my own life...

but then I think about the way I indulge in sweets.

I often eat sweets instead of praying or confessing to a friend.  When I've had a bad day, I might go out and buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  Not only is this a terrible habit, but it's false comfort.  I realized just yesterday that I have a problem on my hands.  Wednesday's sweets consumption: 3 rice krispy treats (snack served at preschool where i work), 2 cookies, 1 ice cream sandwich, and 3 pieces of chocolate - all in one day.  So, I'm seriously considering taking a break from addictive, comforting sugar. 

I am reminded: It is his kindness which leads us to repentance (from Romans 2:4).

What are your thoughts on Lent, fasting, etc? 

2 comments:

  1. argh... my comment got erased when i tried to select my profile thing... i'll try to re-create.

    i love what this blog is about. it reminds me a lot of what we've been talking about at church. here are some paraphrased quotes from last Sunday's sermon..."you wonder why you aren't experiencing healing in your life. are you confessing your sin to others? to have healing you must recognize your sin via conviction of the Holy Spirit, and then get over yourself enough to confess not only to God, but also to your peers- your community."

    oh and i loved living with you too. you're basically the best roommate i've ever had. i mean, i love my current one a lot, but our combined disorderliness is almost too much at times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for commenting! oh, how i miss the journey! such good teaching in that place. thanks for sharing. you should write a blog about what you're learning as you become a doctor. (read: you should write a blog once you're not crazy busy becoming a doctor) :0)

    ReplyDelete